Santa Monica visitors mean business!
8.4 million visitors spend $1.87 billion in Santa Monica's hotels, attractions, shops and restaurants.
Reaching this market is the most important thing you can do for your business.
About Santa Monica
• The city is 8.2 square miles and has 95,000 residents
• Median Age is 49
• Median Household Income is $79,400
• 89,444 people work in Santa Monica businesses
• 16,000 jobs are in or related to tourism
• 2,500 people work for the City of Santa Monica
Who are Santa Monica Visitors?
• 59% of visitors are here for the first time
• Median age of Visitors: 36
• Median Income of Visitors: $87,600 per year
• 8.4 million visitors in 2016
• Hotel Stats: 3,920 hotel rooms. 85.2% occupancy year round
99%-100% Memorial Day–Labor day
• Spending from Visitors is $1.87 billion
Each Visitor averages $163 in daily spending, staying in hotels an average of 3.8 nights. International Visitors from the UK and Europe spend twice as much per day as the average domestic visitor. Australian visitors spend four to five times as much as the average.
Where are overseas visitors from?
• 49% of Visitors are from overseas
• 12.9% are from Australia/New Zealand
• 10.2% are from England
• 7.2% are from Mexico
• 7.5% are from Scandinavia
• 6% are from Germany
• 4.8% are from Eastern Canada
• 6.6% are from Western Canada
• 4.2% are from Japan
• 3.4% are from the Middle East
• 3.2% are from Italy
• 3% are from Other Western Europe
• 2.9% are from China (mainland)
Where are domestic visitors from?
• 29.4% of domestic Visitors are from California
• 5.7% of domestic Visitors are from Texas
• 4.9% of domestic Visitors are from Nevada
• 4.9% of domestic Visitors are from New York
• 4.3% of domestic Visitors are from Arizona
• 3.8% of domestic Visitors are from Florida
• 3.1% of domestic Visitors are from Illinois
• 2.5% of domestic Visitors are from Colorado
• 2.4% of domestic Visitors are from Oregon
• 2.3% of domestic Visitors are from Washington
• 2.3% of domestic Visitors are from Ohio
• 2.2% of domestic Visitors are from New Jersey
Where do visitors explore?
• 86% of Visitors come to the Santa Monica Pier
• 77% of Visitors come to the Third Street Promenade
• 48% of Visitors come to the Santa Monica Place
• 17% of Visitors come to other Downtown Santa Monica businesses and attractions. Visitors account for 65% of all retail, dining and entertainment purchases in Downtown Santa Monica.
• 24.4% of Visitors come to Main St.
• 9.1 % of Visitors come to Pico Blvd.
• 7.4 % of Visitors come to Montana Ave.
What do visitors spend money on?
• 74% of Visitors eat in our restaurants, spending $341MM per year on food,
and $170MM on beverages
• 54% of Visitors shop in our stores, spending $787MM per year
• Visitors stay in our hotels, spending $419MM per year
• Visitors buy groceries/incidentals in Santa Monica,
spending $22MM per year
• Visitors go to spas or healthy lifestyle classes in Santa Monica,
spending $35MM per year
• Visitors buy admission tickets to events,
spending $23MM per year
• Visitors enjoy activities and rentals, spending $18MM per year